Question

The oven racks in Kenmore Elite (Model 790.31043302) Fall Down and have caused burns?

The oven racks keep falling down even when there’s nothing on them. This is EXTREMELY dangerous. And needs to be fixed. This is a design defect or manufacturing defect.

Answers

40 answers

1. This same problem happened to me with double wall ovens which had been in my house for 13 months. Sears repairman told me it would cost me $400 per oven to replace the walls which are made out of poor, not heat resistant metal and then charged me $79 for that good news. I called their Blue Ribbon number at his suggestion and everyone at Sears/Fridegaire were so surprised and had NEVER heard of this problem and did not offer a solution so that I might use my ovens, oh except another $800 charge. Please call Product Safety Commission and file a report. This is the only way we can force a recall and expect Sears to step up an do the right thing. Their response has been appalling and totally third world.

2. I just had a tray of lasagna fall and splatter from the middle rack. Doesn't matter which level I use , racks always fall. And it's not from self cleaning with racks in. After I read this about my not even 2 year old oven I purchased a new rack - that one falls too. After reading these I can't believe this issue hasn'tbeen addressed through a recall. I wonder what is going to happen when the first serious burn or kitchen fire results in a hefty lawsuit. I'm copying all these posts gor evidence cause I'm sure they are going to take down these posts soon.7

1. In response to Rebatesarentus

Hi Rebatesarentus!

Welcome to the MySears Community!

We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention. The issue you are experiencing is very important to us and has been forwarded to our Sears Cares team.

Our team will be reaching out by posting a response and requesting additional information so that they can connect with you personally.

I will be reaching out via email directing you back for contact once a response has posted.

Thank you for reaching out on this issue so that our team can help you further!

2. In response to Rebatesarentus

Hello Rebatesarentus!
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this matter regarding your oven. We truly apologize for the mishaps you have encountered with your racks. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to assist with resolving this matter to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Rebatesarentus), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.
      MySears Community Moderator

3. In response to Rebatesarentus

What is being done about this? My 4 1/2 yr old oven model 790-98023800 is doing the same thing even with light weight cookie sheets. It needs to be addressed.

4. In response to Rebatesarentus

I have the same issue and would appreciate some assistance.

5. In response to Rebatesarentus

Hi KALP!

We appreciate you sharing your concerns with us.

To discuss these issues with you further, I am putting you in touch with our Sears Cares team so that can talk to you personally in helping to resolving these issues and making sure your needs have been met.

Once a response has posted I will be reaching out via email providing a link back for contact.

Again we thank you for reaching out!

6. In response to Rebatesarentus

Hello KALP!
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this matter. We can truly understand your frustrations with what has occurred with your oven racks. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to assist you with your concerns. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (KALP), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.

3. This was very helpful I cleaned my oven with the racks out of them and ever since, i have had the same problem. My oven is just over a year old. I didn't do anything for several months and just suffered with it. But now i just had another pasta just fall all over the oven. We bought the oven on sears.com 12/22/12. My oven is unable (i have another one). I have told my friends not to buy sears products.

1. In response to dorothywetzel

Hi there,dorothywetzel! Thanks for posting on MySears today. I am sorry to hear you are having such troubles with your oven. I have passed your concerns on to the SearsCares team. They will be happy to discuss this with you.

A team member will be by in a bit looking to help. I will notify you via an email which includes a link back to this thread once they respond.

Thanks!

2. In response to dorothywetzel

Hello dorothywetzel,
      My name is Tony and I am with the Sears Cares team. We thank you for letting us know about the oven troubles that you have been recently experiencing. The disappointment with the oven not working as expected so soon after making the purchase is certainly understandable and we would appreciate the opportunity to step in and assist in resolving this matter to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (dorothywetzel), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Thank you,
      Tony

3. In response to dorothywetzel

Hi, we have a sears warranty and a local technician came, tried to fix it and could not fix it. He said he had never seem anything like it. He said i would probably need a new oven. I told him there were many cases on the internet. He said he would call back but he has not called back. I need my oven by EASTER.

4. In response to dorothywetzel

Hi there, dorothywetzel! Thanks for the update. I have passed your comments along to the team. Look to hear from someone soon!

Thanks!

5. In response to dorothywetzel

Hello dorothywetzel,
      My name is Tony and I am with the Sears Cares team. We thank you for letting us know about the oven troubles that you have been recently experiencing. The disappointment with the oven not working as expected so soon after making the purchase is certainly understandable and we would appreciate the opportunity to step in and assist in resolving this matter to your satisfaction. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, screen name (dorothywetzel), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. We do look forward to speaking with you soon!

Thank you,
      Tony

6. In response to dorothywetzel

This has been happening to me for over a year. Our oven is about 5 years old and I can only use the bottom rack. I have called the Sears appliance repair and they were very unhelpful. I am about to start posting to every social media place I can find about this. We spent a fortune on 3 appliances and it is simply unacceptable that such a dangerous problem isn't remedied.

7. In response to dorothywetzel

Hi there, kakrask! Thanks for your post today. I have passed your concerns about your range along to the SearsCares team, who will be by in a bit looking to help.

As soon they respond, I will send you an email to let you know.

Keep us posted!

Thanks!

8. In response to dorothywetzel

Hi kakrask,

Thank you for sharing with us about facing the same this situation with your oven. We’ll be happy to look into this issue, and assist you in this matter. My name is Edwin and I’m with the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We’d like to speak with you and have one of our dedicated case manager’s help you in this matter. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (kakrask) phone # and the letter to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
      Edwin C.

4. I too have the same problem repeated by many on this post. My oven is Kenmore Model# 92804. The first time we tried to roast a 22lb turkey the shelf fell to the floor of the oven. All 3 shelves did the same. Sear's response was since it out of warranty nothing can be done. They were 'surprised' to hear this happened. Finally made this offer, if I bought a 1 year warranty for $350 they would send a tech out for $80 and if he says the oven needs to be replaced they will offer $400 to the purchase of a new oven. Added up the math is comical. I have records of the contacts made with managemylife, recommended to me by our Sears salesperson, shaking his head. I am continuing to follow up on this safety issue.

1. In response to MikeBlatt

Hello MikeBlatt!

We thank you for providing this information regarding your oven. For many years Sears has made strives to provide high quality products. We apologize that you feel the quality of your oven racks do not meet your expectation and that you are dissatisfied with your warranty. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. We would like to connect you with one of our case managers to discuss your concerns/ Please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name (MikeBlatt), to reference your post to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, thank you for taking time to provide this feedback; we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

Liz R.

2. In response to MikeBlatt

My contact # is ***-**6-****
      Name at time of purchase - Michael B.
      Screen name -- MikeBlatt

3. In response to MikeBlatt

Hi There!

Your information has been forwarded on to the Sears Cares team so that a dedicated case manager can reach out to assist you further.

Please note I have removed contact information to help in protecting your privacy as well as security.

Thank you!

4. In response to MikeBlatt

MikeBlatt,

We thank you for the response. We have received your contact information and forwarded your concerns over to our case management team.. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.

5. Hi, I actually have the exact same problem. Just had my first conversation via chat with Sears and the guy was totally unhelpful. This is ridiculous because my oven was very expensive and I have nearly fallen in a couple of times because I can now only use the bottom rack (which is very low.) This is a danger to people, and why Sears hasn't begun a recall only tells me that they are not interested in standing behind their products or ensuring public safety. I am pretty ticked off and about ready to do the consumer throw-down. Facebook. Yelp. Every review site possible. Because there is no way, 2 years after buying a very expensive oven, that I should not be able to use it 80% of the time.

1. In response to DIVADLX

Hi there, DIVADLX! Thanks for posting on MySears today. I am sorry to hear you are having such troubles with your oven. I have passed your concerns on to the SearsCares team. They will be happy to discuss this with you.

A team member will be by in a bit looking to help. I will notify you via an email which includes a link back to this thread once they respond.

Thanks!

2. In response to DIVADLX

DIVADLX,

We are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the performance of your oven. At this time we would like have a dedicated case manager speak with you to directly address and concerns that you have at this time.At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can look into this matter further. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the oven was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (DIVADLX), you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Thank you,
      Kurt M.

3. In response to DIVADLX

I am amused because the e-mail I received said that someone in this thread responded to me and will be helping me... seems y'all maybe don't know who's actually going to help me, which in corporate tells me probably no one will???

4. In response to DIVADLX

Hi DIVADLX! I hope you will reach out to the team using the email provided above. They will do what they can to assist!

Thanks!

6. I have the EXACT problem!! Just was at the Sears store today and showed the salesman. He was really surprised. All he did was push on the top rack with two fingers lightly and it fell off the racks. He told me to contact Sears. I had a 20 lb turkey on the rack when it collapsed spilling all over me, the oven, floor, etc. I could have been really hurt. I was so lucky I jumped fast. But what a disaster! And now I am scared to use my oven!! :( So what do I do now?? Please let me know Sears!!

1. In response to Destineequest

Hi Destineequest!

Were you able to reach out to our Home Services for repairs on this issue? If not, please call 1-800-295-4809.

Please keep us posted so that we may direct you further.

Thank you for reaching out!

2. In response to Destineequest

Same stove, same problem. The first warped liner was replaced under warranty after 8 months. The liner has warped for a second time, after 32 months,now out of warranty. Sears Canada has agreed to buy the stove back and give me a credit towards a new one, however the stove is just 25% into it expected 10 year life so I expected to get 75% of the purchase price back as a credit towards a new stove but only received 50% credit.

3. In response to Destineequest

Hi there, joe47! Thanks for reaching out on MySears! As it sounds like you purchased your stove in Canada, I would recommend getting in touch with the SearsCares team there. You can post on either Facebook.com/SearsCanada), or Twitter @searsCA to reach them or call directly to 888-473-2772.

Hope that helps!

7. This answer has been removed.

8. This is a known defect, the sides of the oven actually expand outward a bit and cause the racks to be too small. The correct fix is to replace the entire oven liner, but Sears will most likely claim that it is out of warranty or the fault of the manufacturer.

If you are out of warranty, and Sears will not stand behind their products (common now) it would be cheaper to buy a new appliance than pay to rebuild this one

9. Hi KempLyons!

Were you able to reach out to our Home Services for repairs on this issue? If not, please call 1-800-295-4809.

Please keep us posted.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

The Kenmore Elite line is terrible and the worst buy I ever made. Not only will I no longer buy appliances from Sears I will never support kenmore.
      I had a defect on my dishwasher that Sears would not claim any responsibility for plus I have the same issue with my oven. Racks fall do to the inner walls expanding. Terrible product. How do they get away with charging thousands and not standing behind it. As the distributor or manufacturer they should have to.

2. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hello, Todd1235,
      My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We thank you for posting about this matter regarding your dishwasher and oven. We can truly understand how overwhelming this issue has been for you. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to contact you and ensure that your concerns are address. At your earliest convenience, please send the following information – contact #, screen name (Todd1235), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon.
      Thank you,
      Liz R.

3. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hi Liz, I have the exact same problem!! Can someone help me also? See my post above. I sent you and email to the info replied to Todd1235. Thank you.

4. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Contact via email only please

Screen Name: Todd1235

I Live in Kamloops BC Canada and I suppose you are going to tell me I need to contact someone in Canada.

I have sent an attached photo of my original bill which was in 2007.

Understandably the warranty has run out but the facts are simple.

An oven should not become unusable due to the inner walls expanding no matter how long you have it.

PH# *******

Sears will never take responsibility but they were sure quick to take the $9000 i spent on the three appliances I bought.

5. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Hi Todd1235,

Your information has been forwarded to the Sears Cares team. Please note that your contact phone number has been removed for your security and privacy.

Thank you!

6. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

As suspected I still haven't heard from anyone from your company. The complaint was made a month ago. Emails and photos were sent. Sears has no idea how to help someone they sold faulty appliances to. Very disapointing

7. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Todd1235,

Thank you for taking time to post about your range issue again. In reviewing your case I see that your case manager has sent our business partners in Canada an email regarding your range situation. We apologize that you haven't heard back from them. I will ask that a case manager contact you again and will attempt to reach out to Sears Canada again. Thank you for your patience and we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Sincerely,

Susan R.