Question

UNQUALIFIED SEARS STORE MANAGER

My resolution for 2013 is to never shop at Sears Stores
Del Amo Fashion CTR #0001278
22100 Hawthorn BLVD
Torrance, CA 90503
I went to this location today to return a kid’s jacket that I bought on December 24, 2012 at SEARS . The regular price was for $70.00 and I bought it on sale for $30.45.

As soon as I walked into the SEARS store on January 05 At 8.00 pm .
I went streight into 2 checkout desks .I stood there at each one for couple of minutes but no sales people around to help. So I finally spotted an open checkout desk. I explained the salesperson that I did not have my receipt but I had 3 more discount receipts that I was given when I bought it. I told her that I paid $30.45 for the jacket with my VISA CREDIT CARD.
I handled my credit card and CA I.D. She said the “all SEARS computer system was down” And all she could give me is store credit. I told her she could verify my credit card payment. And that I wanted my money back on my credit card. But she refused.
I asked to talk to the store manager.

Once the manager came “ANTONIO” was very rude , disrespectful,and unethical. He explained to me that ALL SEARS had a problem with their system and that there was nothing he could about it. He said he could not even give me a store credit because the system would not allowed him to.
I told him I did not want store credit because I would never come back to SEARS to shop and that I was VERY DISSAPOINTED AND UNSATIFIED SINCE I FIRST WALKED INTO THE SEARS STORE WITH NO SALES PEOPLE AROUND AVAILABLE TO HELP CUSTOMERS.

I told ANTONIO I would file a compalaint with
WEIGHTS AND MEASUREMENTS for not having their system fixed.

ANTONIO response was “FILE A COMPLAINT WITH WHO EVER YOU WANT”!!

The store manager ANTONIO embarrased me and my family in front of two other families that were there waiting to pay.
Why would SEARS hire manager like ANTONIO that was unable to help the customers or give a solution to resolve their problems with their computer system was down.
THE SEARS MOS ANTONIO IN HIGHLY UNQUALIFIED ABILITIES TO SATISFIED CUSTOMERS.

Answers

8 answers

1. daflyinhawaiian
    My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team I saw your post today and wanted to reach out to you to offer our assistance. I am very sorry to see that you had such a disappointing experience at one of our Sears stores. I can see how frustrating it is to receive the level of customer service you have encountered. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your situation and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. At your convenience please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the jacket was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your MySears screen name (daflyinhawaiian) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Social Media Moderator

2. Hi daflyinhawaiian! Thanks for visiting the MySears Community today! While Civsci is correct, all computers were down the other day, that is no reason for you to have been treated disrespectfully at your local store. Please check back on this thread soon for a reply from a SearsCares team member. They would love to do what they can to keep you as a Sears Customer. Hope to see you back on this site once they respond!

Thanks!

3. The store manager was correct. The systems were offline all through last night.

It was not possible to look-up any order without the receipt.
    Some stores also reported they were unable to process credit/debit transactions.

1. In response to Civsci

Lets be realistic! Why should I inconvienence myself just because SEARS system was down. Why should I drive 18 miles ,waist my gasoline at $4.00 per gallon, and spend more time to come back again. I was not asking for cash back because I paid with my credit card. The MOD ANTONIO manager could offer me to leave the jacket with my credit card information and ANY OTHER MANAGER should of solve the problem at the next day. Plus I had to deal with his BAD ATTITUDE as soon as he come into the checkout desk. He looked mad even before I talked to him. May be SEARS should get a more reliable computer system and employees. I LOVE TO SHOP AND ON MY 30 YEARS OF SHOPPING EXPERIENCES THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I ENCOUNTER A STORE PROBLEM LIKE THIS. MAY BE BECAUSE THAT WAS MY FIRST TIME SHOPPING AT SEARS. May be SEARS should do a sticker return system like BLOOMINDALES ,NORSDTROMS and MACY's.
      I appreciate your valuable time and interest

2. In response to Civsci

If the computer systems were down, that problem was caused by Sears, not the customer. Customers will understand system failures if they are treated as if their time and trouble is valuable. The manager has a chance to apologize to the customer, and offer some sort of solution to the problem, but chose instead to escalate the situation and anger the customer further.

To tell the customer to “FILE A COMPLAINT WITH WHO EVER YOU WANT” is guaranteed to have the customer leave the store angry, and to cause the store to lose their future business.

The computer failure is not the fault of the customer. The store should have a back up situation, even if it is hand writing receipts and processing them later. They also should have had signs on all cash registers and store entrances stating that the computer systems were down, so that customers could chose not to come into the store.

All businesses have problems. It is how the problems are handled that will earn or lose a customer's loyalty.

3. In response to Civsci

It is difficult to judge how the discussion actually went down without actually having witnessed it.

Sears in most cases, does have a reservation system, where transactions are done on the register but are not processed until the systems come online again.

However, in this case, if the system is offline, it is not possible to use the system to look-up an order. That would require a connection to the central database which would be down.

Needless to say, Transaction Lookups is a courtesy done by Sears to the customer. If you actually check our return policy you will find the text "NO RETURNS WILL BE GIVEN WITHOUT RECEIPT" written all in caps.

In this case, the system was done, and the customer was told accurately that nothing could be done at that time. Had a receipt been present, the manager could have used the reservation system to process the return.

4. In response to Civsci

This still does not excuse the obvious rudeness of the manager. The customer was upset, and in my opinion justifiably so, and the manager basically told the customer that they did not matter.

The manager has a chance to save a customer, or send them away to never shop at Sears again. The manager did not do their job, because the customer is now angry enough to post here (repeatedly)

Total and complete customer service failure

• San Jose, CA

In response to Civsci

I wonder how quickly the system wide computer failure was repaired?

When I was in the closest store, they still had some odd side effects happening during transaction processing.

Could be the increased complexity of accepting inputs from iPads, iPhones, Dumb store terminals, customers on the Internet, and those pesky Cash Registers.

I'd like to see more customer self-service price checkers back in the stores.

That would reduce the length of some of the cash register line ques.

See More