Question

Well, you were correct about the lid switch being bad. Being plastic it had eventually separated. So I bought the part, put it in (took me quite a while because of the ordeal with the back panel) and sure enough, it worked. That is, until about halfway through a load when it died again, same deal as last time. It’s not the outlet or breaker, both are fine. Could the new lid switch just have up and died on me? I assume I installed it correctly, not much to it, and it worked for 10 minutes or so.

To be honest, I dread taking that back panel off and having to put it on again. Very poorly designed! I know, Whirlpool even though it’s got a Kenmore name on it.

Answers

3 answers

1. mbpfeil,
    The description of the back panel and the word ordeal caught my attention. If you have a Kenmore or Whirlpool direct drive washer then the back panel is not designed to be removed. To access the lid swith would require removing the cabinet which is not to difficult if you know the trick. A model number always helps us give you the most complete answer.

2. mbpfeil,
    I am sorry you are having a problem with the washer. The problem could be in the lid switch. If you have a volt ohmmeter, you can check the continuity of the lid switch. To do that you need to turn the meter to the ohm setting. Then disconnect the lid switch connector. Now place the leads on the terminals going to the lid switch. With the lid closed, you should have a reading of close to 0 ohms. With the lid open, you should have a reading of ol or open. If you show an open reading all the time the lid switch is defective. If the lid switch checks out ok, the problem is somewhere else. Further diagnostics will be needed. If you do not feel confident diagnosing the washer you can have it repaired at your home by a Sears technician. To schedule service call 1-800-469-4663. I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Mark

3. Hi mbpfeil! Thanks for posting your progress on your washer issue from a week ago. I sent your update on to the Appliance Experts. Check back soon for a reply to let you know about the best next step for repair.

See More