Question

What can I do to get someone with the ability to actually help me?

On May 17th, we ordered an air compressor (order number 503580770). It arrived damaged and we returned it to Sears via UPS. We re-ordered the air compressor on August 21st (order number 549352326), and it also arrived damaged. We returned it to Sears through UPS on August 28th. On the first order, we were charged $178.21 and the second time we were charged $181.51. When reordering the second air compressor, we contacted them about the price difference and they said there was nothing they could do, but we could submit a claim for the additional cost. It is today September 17th, 4 months from the original order and we have not been credited back the $181.51 from the second purchase, despite it being returned on August 28th (3 weeks ago). We keep being told that we should receive the returned money soon, but it has yet to happen. We have been offered no compensation, virtually no apologies, and have only received attention from customer service when using Twitter to complain about this series of purchases. Nadia M. from the Social Media Team has been helpful, but lacks the ability to really solve the problem.

Then, against my better judgement, I bought another item from Sears this weekend from my local store using Sears.com. I received an email right afterward apologizing and saying that it was sold out, and that they would be refunding my money. The email said that it should appear in my account “in moments” so, unconcerned, I re-ordered the tool chest from another location and picked it up. Yesterday, I realized that I had been charged twice and called to cancel the duplicate order. Today, when following up on the email that was sent to me, I talked to a customer service professional who told me that it was my fault for placing the second order, that I needed to wait longer because it takes 3-5 days to return money (despite the fact that I was mislead to believe the local store had it in stock, and the fact that I did not receive that item, and was told that it would appear in my account in moments). It was implied that this was somehow justified because “I did get it at a 30% discount,” as if magically that solved the problem that Sears charged me twice for one item.

Customer service seems to only have the ability to make platitudes about how “sorry” they are for the “confusion” and the “inconvenience” but totally unwilling to accept responsibility for the problem. In the end, all I really want is my $302.15 back and something that resembles a sincere apology. I would really like to get the $181 from the air compressor back in actual money instead of store credit because I don’t want to be a Sears customer after the way that I have been treated. I’m disappointed because, I understand that mistakes happen, miscommunications happen, etc. but the way that Sears has handled this is what has made me so angry. I want someone to actually help me, not try to placate me. Do you have anyone like that on staff?

Answers

9 answers

1. I'm having a similar problem. My case manager was so rude, I would hate if that was the only person Sears could get to call me back. I want to get my order reordered but after reading your complaint I think I should just wait for the refund and never use Sears again. What a joke.

1. In response to lyssafairbro

Hi lyssafairbro! I responded to your original thread here to get you connected with an escalation team member to help.

Thanks!

2. In response to lyssafairbro

Lyssafairbro:

My case manager has actually been really kind, but she isn't really able to help because of Sears policy. Sears has lost our business forever. No amount of discount is worth the hassle of trying to deal with these messes. At this point, I'm not wanting to talk to "SearsCares" any longer because it is very obvious that they do not, nor are they interested in solving the problem. In fact, the most frustrating part of this is that each of their customer service professionals treat me like I am the problem with their canned apologies meant to, I suppose, build rapport and calm me down. Instead of fixing the problem, it seems that their entire job is to make me think it is not a problem.

At first I was inclined to just put it off as "these things happen" because I realize that with large retailers they do happen. The response to each of these incidents is the reason why Sears has lost my business and why I will loudly and publicly tell everyone why.

Good luck getting your refund. As I mentioned before, Sears still owes my husband and I over $300 that I'm not sure they will actually return since it has been three weeks that we've been waiting for the original $181. I've submitted complaints to the Better Business Bureau. Maybe they can help.

Good luck!

Melissa730

3. In response to lyssafairbro

On Friday, I went online to Sears.com to purchase two television sets as Christmas gifts. After filling in my name and address, the site asked for my credit card information, which I supplied. When I clicked on the Continue button, I received a message in red letters that said, "Transaction cannot be completed, try another account." Knowing that my credit card was in good standing, I tried a second time, this time only purchasing 1 television set. After filling in my credit card information again, I hit the Continue button and got the same message, "Transaction cannot be completed, try another account." I was frustrated and left the Sears.com website, went to another store and purchased the two television sets. Than I checked my bank account because I was carefully budgeting my money as I was doing my Christmas shopping. I was very surprised to see two charges on my account from Sears.com! The first charge was for $421.75 and the second for $210.88! I called customer service at 800-349-4358. A young lady answered my call but at the same time was continuing another conversation with someone else. She asked how she could help me and I explained what happened. She asked for my information and I gave her my name, email address and address. She then asked me for the order number. I explained a second time that I didn't have an order number, the online store system did not let me get past the point of entering my charge card information. She put me on hold for several minutes, came back and told me to call back in a few days to see if my order showed up in their system. I explained a third time, there was no order, I had no order confirmation, no order number, no email from sears thanking me for my order, I had nothing but the loss of $632.63 from my bank account. She put me on hold again for several minutes. Came back and said to call again in 3 to 7 days to see if my order showed in their system. I asked to speak to a manager, she said they would tell me the same thing. I said I would really like to speak to a manager, she put me on hold again. After several more minutes, another girl got on the line and said she was the supervisor and that there was nothing they could do and I had to call back in 5 to 7 days. I asked to speak to another manager, by this time I am in tears. She said she was the only supervisor there. I started to say something and she hung up on me.
      After composing myself, I called my Credit Union about the charges to see if they could cancel them. They said they were not pending charges and that the money had been electronically sent to www.sears.com Hoffman EST IL. There was nothing they could do and said I would have to call Sears back. I called the customer service line again. This time I spoke to a young lady named Monique. I explained what had happened and how I was hung up on. She apologized for it and I explained my whole story again to her. She said she would try to help me. She checked the system again and found no order number. She tried a couple other things with no luck and told me she would put me through to a Case Manager. She said she would explain what happened to the Case Manager so that I would not have to explain everything again. I was grateful for that. After a few minutes, another young lady named Cassandra got on the phone and went over with me what had happened and said she would send a fax to my bank asking them to stop the charges. I explained again that I had spoken to my bank and they told me there was nothing they could do, the money was deducted from my account. She still wanted to send the fax. She said if I didn't see a credit to my account in 24 hours, to call them back. I hung up the phone and cried. I am not rich, this money was most of my Christmas money. I couldn't do any more shopping. I couldn't get anyone to listen to me. On Saturday, I checked my bank account, no refund. I called Sears again and got a rude girl who talked over me as I tried to explain my situation. She said there was nothing she could do because there was no order number in their system. She said to call back in 3 to 5 days to see if an order number appeared in their system. I started to speak and she shouted over me there was nothing she could do and to call back. I never ever want this to happen to anyone else. I won't ever shop at Sears again just simply out of fear. I need that money back. I don't have a big bank account, I work and pay my bills as I go and it's been a hard year. Can anyone please help me recover what Sears has taken from me? The only proof I have is my bank account which shows the charges from Sears. Thank you.

4. In response to lyssafairbro

Hi MRSWBW,

We appreciate you taking the time to bring this issue to our attention. Your concerns are very important to us and have been forwarded to our Sears Cares Escalation team so that they may help you with this issue.

Once a member from our team responds I will be reaching out via email with a link to direct you back for further contact.

Thank you!

5. In response to lyssafairbro

Hi MRSWBW,

Thank you for taking time to make us aware of what you have encountered with your recent online purchase attempt, we understand how this is an upsetting issue for you. We know that during this time of the year being accurately charged for purchases for budgeting purposes and receiving excellent member services is very important . My name is Brian and I am a member of the Sears Cares Social Media Support team. After reading your post, I am concerned and I am reaching out to you to offer our assistance. We would like to put you in touch with a case manager who will work closely with our online business partners regarding this incident and to provide feedback to the appropriate management team. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name (MRSWBW), to reference your post to smadvisor@searshc.com and the next available case manager will contact you directly. Again, thank you for posting about your online shopping and member services experience; we look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

Brian R.
      Social Media Moderator
      Sears Social Media Support

2. Melissa730,

We’re sorry that your issue is still ongoing. We understand that this has been a frustrating experience for you, but you case manager is best person to assist in resolving your situation. We will make sure to forward your post to your case manager for attention.

Thank you,

David W.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

3. Hi there, Melissa730! Welcome to MySears! Thanks so much for reaching out today. I am so sorry you are having such difficulty receiving your promised refunds. I am going to send this along to SearsCares so they can follow up with you.

Once they provide a response, I will contact you to let you know.

Thanks!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

Thank you Julie, but I'm not interested in talking to SearsCares any longer. This is beyond what I'm willing to accept as a customer so I will no longer be a customer of Sears.

See More