Question

What is a low calorie, quick lunch idea?

I am looking for a low calorie, low fat lunch idea that goes beyond a usual sandwich, but still fills me up. I would love to find something that I could be quickly assembled and is hearty enough that I am not starving by 3, but also doesn’t use up over 400 calories or so.

Is this asking for too much in a lunch? Anyone have a recipe idea or two that fit the bill?

Answers

3 answers

1. Hi Julie,

There are lots of options for assembling healthy lunches that will both satisfy you and fuel your afternoon.

For example, combinations of rice and beans offer a complete (satisfying!) protein. Simply combine cooked brown rice, black beans, chopped tomatoes, and chopped green onions. For dressing, add some salsa, salt and pepper. Or, purchase a can of tuna and mix it with chopped Kalamata olives, chopped tomatoes, chopped green onions and crumbled feta cheese. Add some fresh lemon juice, salt and pepper, and you have a Mediterranean-style tuna salad. Another option is to purchase a roasted chicken, remove the skin, and shred the meat. Add the chicken to salads or combine it with brown rice or steamed vegetables to make a satisfying meal. I like tossing shredded chicken with chopped apple, chopped walnuts, dried cranberries and chopped green onions. I dress it with a little Greek yogurt, honey, salt and pepper.

I hope these ideas help inspire your mid-day meal!

1. In response to Kristen_Desmond

That tuna salad sounds delicious! I also like the idea of using Greek yogurt as a salad dressing.

2. In response to Kristen_Desmond

Oooh, that tuna salad recipe does sound delish! Also like the beans and rice idea. These are things I could certainly pull together quickly and easily for lunch!