Question

What Is The Best Way to Cook Artichokes?

Hi Kristin,

My daughter loves artichokes and I am not sure exactly how to cook these properly. So far I have steamed one for her and she said it tasted fine. But how do you know how long to steam them?

Is there another way to cook these besides steaming?

Any tips that you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Answers

2 answers

1. Hi Wendy,

Fresh artichokes can be boiled, steamed, roasted, sautéed or grilled. Steaming is the quickest and simplest method, and the one I use most. Larger artichokes typically take between 35 and 45 minutes to steam. You will know they are ready when the outer leaves pull away and the stem end is thoroughly tender when pierced with a fork. Steamed artichokes can be refrigerated overnight.

To prepare artichokes for cooking, slice about 1 inch off the top, pull off the small and especially thick leaves, trim the stem so that it can sit flat, and then cut the spiky tips from the leaves (use scissors or kitchen shears for this).

To roast artichokes, cut prepared artichokes in half. Toss them in a mixing bowl until evenly coated with olive oil, salt and dried herbs of your choice. Place them cut side down in a roasting pan and cover tightly with foil. Bake them at 375 °until the stems are tender, about 45 minutes.

For added flavor, you can grill your steamed artichokes. Cut them in half, remove the fuzzy choke and toss them with olive oil lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Grill them over medium heat, flipping them once, for about 10 minutes. Serve artichokes with mayonnaise, melted butter and lemon juice, or a vinaigrette for dipping.

Hope this helps!

1. In response to Kristen_Desmond

Wow! Thank you for the additional tips on cooking these.

My daughter tried roasting them and has found a new love of cooking them. She smothered them with garlic and a few other ingredients and ate 2 whole artichokes in one sitting LOL

Next is grilling!

My daughter sends a great big thank you in providing these cooking tips especially on the roasting!