Answers

37 answers

1. Correct, it is a shame to squander all that it took to build the Craftsman brand into that which means QUALITY and VALUE, into something of lesser sorts. I'm not going to pass any judgment upon Sears for doing what it does; I simply won't be buying any non-USA made Craftsman tools ever! I will continue to buy the USA made Craftsman tools, but I'm having difficultly doing so and often leave the store without buying anything because I actually study where my tools are made and base my buying decision accordingly. Maybe Sears could study my Member Purchases enough to recognize a USA made buying trend. I even recently bought all of those Premium USA Craftsman ratchets because I'm not going to spend my hard earned $$$ on a foreign made Craftsman. Yes, we all vote with what $$$ we spend. I'm doing my part here to buy USA made, but I can't do it alone.

2. I too ordered tools not realizing they were made in china. I bought a wrench set and a set of allen wrenches. All were made in china. I will be returning them. I suggest that people should buy the made in china ***** and return it with a clear explanation that you are returning because it is made in china. Also, can we organize a boycott? Something that will get the idiots running the company into the ground to pay attention? Does anyone know what happened to the factory that used to make the tools in the US? Where is/was it located?

3. I have owned and used craftsman tools all my life but I'll never buy another. I hope sears fails like so many others. I'd rather shop at harbor freight than sears. At least harbor freight is upfront about where their tools are made. Sears is pushing china junk at made in USA prices. Why would I buy a craftsman wrench made in China for twice the cost of a husky wrench when both offer the same warranty? So now I have countless made in USA craftsman tools that are no longer backed by warranty as they would be replaced by made in China tools.

Sears reflects all that is wrong with this country they not only outsourced American jobs but then they turn around and try to sell made in China junk at inflated prices further hurting the working class. Going into Sears use to mean something as you knew you were getting quality tools made in USA, now all your doing is buying overpriced harbor freight quality tools.

4. I have over $20,000 in Crafstman tools. Since my last set came "Made in China", I will never buy another. Hopefully Sears goes bankrupt and dissolves. May all the management be shipped to China since they love it so much.

5. I feel betrayed. Like CzchMex below I wanted to have a decent set of tools. I was shocked to see the hand tools made in China. I knew they had their "Evo" line or whatever that is. Sears just doesn't get it - they are trying to compete by being like their competitors who all have a better game going. Sears needed to distinguish itself. One way they did was having made in the USA hand tools - if you look at most people's opinion of Sears that was one of the only things you could trust from Sears. Even if the quality remains the same there is no longer an appeal for me to buy Craftsman over other tools. Today I just needed one thing and it would have been a much closer trip to the auto parts store but the reason I travelled farther is because of Craftsman made in the US.

6. I went to Grainger and they sell Craftsman Industrial tools that are made in usa. They look like the old craftsman tools that sears use to sell in there store but now are all made in China.

7. I was very disappointed when I found out that Craftsman hand tools will no longer be made in the USA. Sadly I recently just found that out which means the couple of years I wasn't paying attention to the change, I missed out on completing my Craftsman USA collection.

I understand that moving overseas allows for higher margins for price, but what if you lose a lot of faithful customers all together? You didn't gain anything but rather just lost your most prized asset: Americans buying American Made Tools. Keep the hand tools in the USA and move just the evolve line over to China. I wouldn't even mind if the price of the tools raised to keep them in America. I would pay the difference. I'm sure you would find many others doing that too.

I have purchased thousands and thousands of dollars worth of Craftsman tools and picked your tools over and over. I kept them clean and didn't disrespect them like I do the other cheap tools I have lying around. The ones that if they break I throw away. However if I cannot find the tool I am looking for with the USA stamp on it and the wonderful words "Made in the USA" on the back, I will pass.

Unless Craftsman can bring their hand tools back to the USA, Snap-On has just acquired another faithful Craftsman follower... I understand they are 2-4 times more expensive, but I respect the American Tool maker that much.

1. In response to CzchMex

Like you I wanted to complete my Sears Craftsman USA made collection. I was not paying attention until January of this year. You have a few options left but time is running out fast. The Sears Hometown stores located in small towns have about 30-50% USA made Craftsman left since they turn inventory much slower than the mall stores. I picked up some mechanics sets produced around 2012 according to the inventory sheet. You have to read closely and hand pick your tool sets. Made is USA is in very fine print. The packaging looks nearly identical to the Chinese made and carry the same part numbers. Most Hometown stores will honor the Sears online sale prices. Ordering online directly from Sears will almost surely result in Asian sourced tool kits. One exception are sears industrial they are on close out and the photos indicate made in USA you must get the industrial grade to get USA sockets they are not available in all sizes but you may find some replacements for missing sockets. Extensions, swivels, combination wrenches can be found new in limited quantity in the e on the bay website search Craftsman USA. Good luck we are in treasure hunt mode now and time is running short. My gut feel tells me these options will be few and far between by summer. By 2015 all you will have is a shouda-done-that regrets, if you buy too much USA stuff you should be able to get collector prices for these tools in the future. One final warning buy extra of what you may break or lose, any free warranty replacement will likely result in a China made tool. I have some Asian made breaker bars and some evolve impact sockets to cover things I might break. I would strongly advise against using any cheater pipes or hammers on your collection of Craftsman USA tools. GOOD LUCK!

2. In response to CzchMex

I needed a special that was not in the Craftsman line. My shop manual listed a SnapOn part number and I contact the local SnapOn sales representative. He explained he could have the tool in one or two days. I asked where the tool is made and his reply was China! Much of SnapOn's production has been moved to the People's Republic of Communist Red China.

Yesterday, I purchased two smaller Craftsman ball-pien hammers. They are still made in the USA. Next payday I plan to purchase two more. I hope to complete my set (7 or 8 total) with all USA made Craftsman hammers. I needed a tack hammer. They had one that was not Craftsman and it was made in China. The clerk asked me if I found everything I needed. I explained I was looking for a tack hammer made in USA. He asked me what difference it made. I explained that it made on **** of a lot of difference to me. I pointed out that Commie-Mart sells cheap junk made in China and I could have purchased it there if I wanted junk. He still did not understand the point.

3. In response to CzchMex

The is a chicken $**** site. The censors at Sears will not let you include the word h-e-l-l.

4. In response to CzchMex

chicken s*** the censors caught my colorful metaphor.

8. Come on Sears, do you really want to take the Craftsman brand, and send it overseas? That has to be the dumbest move ever for a brand that made it's reputation for being made in America.
    Tools are not even worth buying if they're made in China. They break, causing injuries, and are just generally not safe to work with. We need tools made here, for quality and safety reasons. We will pay the difference. If this is how Sears plans to deal with the competition, you end up just like Montgomery Wards, and Mervyn's. (Out of business). I have purchased thousands of dollars worth of Craftsman tools over the years, but won't be buying anymore, if they're made in China. I can go to harbor freight if I want cheap tools. I give Sears 5 more years, and they'll be closing their doors too. So I'm saying good buy to a what was once a good company. It was nice while it lasted.

1. In response to Bigobigo9

I agree! I will not purchase Craftsman tools that are made in China. The made in China tools today, for the most part, are not the same poor quality of the Chinese tools in the early 1980's. Made in China tools have come a long way since then – but you have to be careful. Why would anyone pay Sears there retail price for a Craftsman tool made in China when you can go to Harbor Freight and get a quality (some are not quality) lifetime guaranty tool for one tenth or half the cost of a Craftsman.

2. In response to Bigobigo9

This is what happens when MBA's run the show....

3. In response to Bigobigo9

A lot of Harbor Freight socket wrenches and ratchets are made in Taiwan which much better than the mainland stuff.

9. I suspect as long as Corporate Sears continues to make product decisions without regard to customer respect and loyalty, we may have seen the end of most of the American made tools in Sears. Apex and Danaher Corporations seem to supply many tools to companies (including Sears) and they have moved plants to other countries where the labor is cheaper (China for example). Corporate Sears has forgotton about customer preference and now sells predominantly Chinese tools. Corporate greed, e.g., Apex and Danaher Corporation, has ruined the Craftsman branding that took a couple generations to establish. The tools are manufactured in China now at much less cost but sold at normal margins so the corporations are making ridiculous profits at the expense of American jobs. I too have had enough and have been buying elsewhere. There are a number of American made tool companies I buy from now online where the tools are made in the USA. Sears, you have an opportunity to turn this around before it's too late. Get your act together corporate executives. Closing unprofitable stores in 2014 will be the 1st step to your demise unless you change your business model and practices.

You have an opportunity here! Do something right.

10. Sears,

When I was growing up, my grandfather always bought his tools from Sears. My father always bought Craftsman tools as well. When I joined the military and became a mechanic, I bought my first set of tools, Craftsman, with the help of my grandparents. It was because of the "Made in the USA' and the warranty. I still have that set along with many Craftsman tools I have added over the past 22 years. My Grandfather, Father and I were proud to own Craftsman. We loved that they were American tools, and the great warranty. Any problems, and the tool was replaced, no questions asked.

When I learned that Craftsman tools were no longer made in the USA anymore, I would search the shelves at my Sears store for leftover ones. Now those are far and few between. Admittedly I have bought a few tools made in China since they were good deals, but usually for the price, I can buy a decent set of foreign made tools anywhere.

You might be increasing profits by selling cheaper tools for the same price, but I or anyone else can get comparative tools for a better deal elsewhere. In essence, you have broken the bond that I shared with the previous two generations of my family. It used to be if I needed a tool, I never gave it a second thought and went straight to Sears. I see no reason to do that any longer. I can get similar quality foreign made tools anywhere for significantly less.

You really screwed up. Made in the USA and the warranty WERE the hallmark of the Craftsman brand. Someone at corporate could use a lesson or two in "branding".

Thanks.

1. In response to dmcginn2

About 20-30% of Sears Hometown store Craftsman mechanics set inventory is still made in USA due to slower inventory turnover at these small rural stores.

11. Craftsman was quality....why do these companies go outside what got them where they were? I am done with Crafstman, everything I get there now is junk. My pressure washer didn't last a year, broke off its welded mounts and they wont honor it. My barbeque poor welds...****. You dumb Ceo's need to show some guts and bring back what made Craftsman and that is quality. **** send it to Germany to be made rather than China. I will pay for quality and I was sticking to Craftsman because of loyalty. The market is saturated but with junk, I don't want junk. My dads craftsman air compressor is over 30 years old and still working great, yet nearly all I get at sears now is cheap. Its a shame. Why don't you at least start a quality line made in USA and see how it does. Believe me it will sell. We will pay for greatness just don't call the cheap line Craftsman....

12. It has been a while since I have checked the packaging on Craftsman hand tools being sold at Sears stores. A lot of the hand tools had been sent to offshore manufacturers but a lot of them were still being made in the USA. I have a lot of Craftsman hand tools and other brands with the made in USA label. While it has been frustrating to pay the price for made in USA tools and then have them go to offshore mfg's I have kept in mind Sears is a place where you can buy made in the USA tools. They just don't sell as many as they used to. The competition appears to be extremely fierce and the market looks like it is flooded with people selling tools.

Being able to stay in business and remain profitable is a big concern to us all. Keeping a loyal customer base is a big concern also. The last time I skimmed through the latest APEX tool catalog it seemed like they were down to selling GearWrench tools and Armstrong tools. I think GearWrench is for the most part, if not all, made offshore.

I dread the day I have to swap out a USA ratchet in exchange for a offshore ratchet.

Anyway, hopefully things will get better. Happy Holidays!

1. In response to GardenTractorMan

Hi GTM! Nice to see you on here! Hope all is well with you and that you had a nice holiday!

2. In response to GardenTractorMan

You can buy Craftsman USA made ratchet repair kits on eBay for about $10 they are selling out.

13. I also must protest the Make outside of the USA mistake that Sears has made.

I recently purchased a set of combination wrenches at Sears and did not check for origin. Got them home to find they are too thick to fit into the spot I had in mind. A quick comparison to my other Craftsman tools and I became aware that these wrenches are not only made in China but they also look like it. No engineering, just thick fat and ugly. When I returned them I was quickly informed that all Craftsman wrenches are now made in China.

The same visit, I tried to replace my Robo Grip pliers. No direct replacement anymore. Sears had similar but not of proper brand, so I had to settle for a pair of locking pliers and guess what? Made in China.

Don't ask a 24 year veteran to invest in foreign tools. I will invest in Made in America when I can.

1. In response to rstruble

I have purchased USA made combination wrenches at the Sears outlet store they are selling the classic USA made raised panel combination wrenches at closeout prices. Wrenches made in USA, plastic packaging made in China bought 4 sets a lifetime supply.

14. Dear Sears Reps,
    I understand that making a corporate decision to make craftsman tools in china was not an easy one. The problem is that professionals that use these tools along with the other truck brands (snap on, mac and Sk tools) will switch to other tools indefinitely leaving sears behind. Craftsman tools have a iconic signature, made in America to last, backed by a lifetime warranty. Taking that tradition and destroying a quality tool in the name of competing with harbor freight tools is not a wise decision.
    I kindly want to state a simple resolution, that if taken seriously will not jeopardize sears, and will offer something for everyone. Its an opinion and I am posting it here, for discussion in hopes that everyone finds a happy medium. Mechanics and guys that want to have craftsman tools made in the usa still can get them, and the guys that want something cheaper get the cheap price product.
    Why not rebrand the name accordingly by price and area of manufacturing.
    example of the idea the following:
    1. craftsman industrial - heavy duty professional use - compete with snap on, made in usa top line stuff.... polished etc.....)
    2. craftsman pro - heavy duty professional use - made in usa. (compatible with the old craftsman quality from the v series line up and what sears built its rep on)
    3. craftsman or call it craftsman evolv - made in china ( made for the homeowner who uses the tool once in a blue moon who cant afford the expensive industrial or normal craftsman pro line up..... the guy that wants something strong but economical)..... something to compete with harbor freight prices and get those guys into the sears store).

I am posting this on here so that it might stimulate some discussion and maybe some other ideas can be passed on, added to this etc.... so that a happy medium is found and craftsman reputation is not forever ruined. The Ceo and corporate can still make profits, and not loose their customers, and the customers be happy.
    Maybe there is a way for sears to offer something for everyone, and it does not loose customers in long term from this idea. ( the mechanics to snap on, sk tools, and mac) and the weekend homeowner warriors ( to harbor freight tools indefinitely).
    just an idea, hopefully someone important may read this and re-consider the reputation and what is at stake.
    By the way I have craftsman tools handed down from father ( bought new at that time) that are marked be, v series and newer stuff. I also have sk tools, snap on, and harbor freight tools. Have used everything in my tool box, and love snap on, craftsman and sk tools. The older BE craftsman and v series stuff are tanks to work with and love the quality. Would not mind paying more for something I know will hold forever. I would hate to see the legend of craftsman be gone forever. Just cater to all the masses. Winning competition is doing what henry ford did in the early century.... cater to everyone and everyone will buy from you.
    What do u guys think out there? Hopefully someone important takes this seriously......

1. In response to njhotroder

I support this article. The main reason being that now if everything is made in china, then the quality of craftsman is not any different than that of harbor freights tools. Loyalty of the customers is not at the bottom line, it is at Made in The USA. I use to buy a lot from sears because it was American made. I can't find anything made in the USA there. If they continued an American line of tools I would continue giving my business.

2. In response to njhotroder

Very logical points in your post. To us out here in fly-over country get these issues. I suggest you read up on what it is like to work at the new Sears at the top exec levels. You Obviously did not grow up in NYC or get an Ivy league MBA, me either.

15. You just took something that was one of the best things about Sears and got rid of it. Generations of mechanics, farmers have the craftsmen tools. Why did we pass it down for so long simply because it was american made, and better quality. We all spent less for tools that where made in China and have been burned. I was surprised when I was going to buy a mechanics set, but the price made me wonder. Made in China, well needles to say I passed on it.

Who ever in your company decided to move your production to China needs to be fired. Even if it is your president. This will be a major black eye for your brand, maybe even unrecoverable. They just do not get it, they had the crown jewel in tools that had brand loyalty and was american as apple pie. My great grand fathers and grand fathers are rolling in their graves. So this forth generation craftsmen customer will now need to find another brand to turn to.

1. In response to Silkee

These people who made the offshore decision are spreadsheet and numbers people. Hand tools need to feel right, be durable for generations not just a few years. Ratchets need to be silky smooth, plating needs to be high nickle chrome and highly rust resistant, steel needs to be high strength Vanadium alloy to allow thinner socket walls to get into tight spaces. Instead a lessor quality set of tools has been put in the same box with the same part numbers at the old USA prices and we were expected not to notice. Years ago Sears had an in house test lab to make sure suppliers were meeting the tough specifications. Sears never had the lowest prices but they did have the best value for the money in Craftsman hand tools, this has now been lost, a real shame. Once the customer base fully catches on to the lower spec Chinese tools offered inside the what looks like the Classic Craftsman box using the old part numbers the race to the bottom will begin. These lessor quality mainland China made tools will lose major market share and sadly those who manage dollars on spreadsheets will be pay the price for short term thinking. I understand Sears is in survival mode but this is 100% the wrong move rule one in marketing is never betray the loyal customers of your brand.

• San Jose, CA

I remember... a time when I didn't even feel the need to "look" at a Craftsman tool's packaging.

The first out-sourced part seemed to be the gold & black plastic handled Craftsman mini-pliers, with nearly all of the other Craftsman hand tools being MUSA tools.

The good news is the lifetime warranty still seems to apply to the tools that have been out-sourced.

And, the model numbers between the old MUSA and new ASIAN made tools are the SAME.

News flash, the ratchet repair kits used for the old and new ratchets are different and have different ratchet repair kit model numbers, for the same model number tear drop and thin-profile Craftsman ratchets.

• San Jose, CA

I almost forgot. When the seasonal Craftsman tool ornaments come out this year, the metal ornaments have been MUSA products, in the years past.

You can hang them up as decorations.

And, you can wear them year round as neck wears or bolos.

The metal ornaments, shaped as various kinds of power tools, are some of the last examples of MUSA Craftsman power tool representations.

I've got a LOT of old US Made Craftsman stuff, including the ratchets.

Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end... Now, some of the old store locations are not even "parking lots".

• San Jose, CA

You've got to look on the packaging of the tools to verify the manufacturing source location.

This requires a trip INTO the store.

But, since the tools are not "virtual", this should not represent an overwhelming hardship.

The Craftsman screwdrivers are Made in the US of A.

Many of the Craftsman pliers are still made "here".

Let's talk about MUSA hammers and mallets! They pack a good US Made PUNCH to em.

The Craftsman ratchets are down to the 84T Craftsman Premium ratchets or the third party sold Craftsman Industrial ratchets being MUSA sourced.

A wide range of Lawn & Garden stick tools are MUSA's.

The heavy-duty Craftsman soldering iron is still a MUSA. It's high setting is 400 watts!

If you go the e of Bay way of Craftsman tool acquisition you will immediately find a much greater selection of MUSA Mechanics' tools.

16. Hi there, VASER! Thanks for your question today! Many Craftsman hand tools continue to be manufactured in the US, including the industrial line of mechanics hand tools.

We appreciate your question and feedback! Thanks!

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

For quite some time, I purchased Craftsman tools because they were made in the U.S. rather than purchasing Husky or Kobalt at Home Depot and Lowes.
      All are lifetime guaranteed and certainly with the backing of Home Depot and Lowes, getting an exchange in the future for a broken ratchet or socket isn’t going to be a problem.
      The fact that the Craftsman brand stood for supporting the U.S. economy and building and fixing things with the support of my neighbors in this country meant something. For the past year, I like many, have picked through inventory at Sears when shopping for Craftsman, looking for the “Made in U.S.A.” remnants when I needed a tool. There is much confusion regarding what tools are still made in the U.S. (screwdrivers, pliers?) that has caused many to just give up on the brand completely.

The reason that I am writing this now: This past week I needed to purchase a set of 3/8-drive Hex Bits Craftsman Model# 42607. When the only stock at $44.99 was Made in China, I went to Home Depot and purchased my first Husky hand tools – a Ball Hex Bit Set, Home Depot SKU 795203 for $19.97. Sears lost the sale to a user that would have paid twice the price for a product Made in the U.S.A. The issue here is three-fold:
      1) Sears is not leveraging manufacturing in China to be competitive. It’s selling Made in China for Made in the U.S.A. prices.
      2) Sears has given up the only differentiation that Craftsman had and is now having to compete head-to-head with Home Depot, Lowes, and Harbor Freight.
      3) Sears never bother to completely leverage that Craftsman was Made in the U.S.A. before shifting manufacturing to China.

The other disconcerting issue is that I have thousands of dollars’ worth of tools with a lifetime warranty made in the U.S. and should an item need replacement, will be replaced with one made in China or Taiwan.

That all being said, there is an incredible marketing opportunity for Sears if even just the wrenches, ratchets, and sockets manufacturing were moved back to the U.S. – Sears would get great press for doing it and be able to build a great marketing program around it. The "Industrial" line of Craftsman tools that can't be found anywhere isn't a solution.

Please don’t let this be one of the final chapters in the books that will be written about the demise of Sears.

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

I totally agree with your assessment that the Craftsman product differetiator was that the tool was made in the USA and was backed by a lifetime warranty. Corporate greed, e.g., Apex and Danaher Corporation, has ruined the Craftsman branding that took a couple generations to establish. The tools are manufactured in China now at much less cost but sold at normal margins so the corporations are making ridiculous profits at the expense of American jobs. I too have had enough and have been buying elsewhere. There are a number of American made tool companies I buy from now online where the tools are made in the USA. Sears, you have an opportunity to turn this around before it's too late. Get your act together corporate executives. Closing unprofitable stores in 2014 will be the 1st step to your demise unless you change your business model and practices.

You have an opportunity here! Do something right.

3. In response to SHC-JulieK

Dear Julie,

Thank you for your feed back. Sadly, nobody is really distributing or promoting craftsman industrial brand, so people are not aware of it. How is Sears planning to turn that around and make it known to people?

Regards

Harry

4. In response to SHC-JulieK

Thanks for your thoughts on this, hkyupelyan. We appreciate your input. I will share your idea to promote that line to our Tools team.