Answers

85 answers

1. A pair of adjustable pliers is THE must have for my toolbox.

2. measuring tape, flashlight, socket wrenches, sockets

3. Besides the typical assortment of items found in a tool box,
    I always keep close at hand, one of the magnetic,
    telescopic pickup tools.

Another version I use, is what I call the grabber tool.
    It's approximately a 16" inch long, flexible shank,
    with a button actuated set of extensible miniature claws.
    It is used to grab hold of light weight objects that
    drop beyond the reach of finger tips.

I have used this grabber tool on many occasions to
    retrieve small objects that fall down the sink drain and
    into a garbage disposal.

I've used the grabber tool to remove wads of hair from bath sink drains where the blockage is located at the pop-up drain linkage.
    This helps me avoid disassembly of the trap and related drain fittings.

Both versions of these helping hands (fingers) tools take-up
    little space in my tool box.

Sears has the magnetic Model# 47071 available for $3.99
    I can't seem to find the Sears version of the flexible grabber I mention, however I'm sure it's hanging on a rack somewhere in their tool dept.

4. Everything everyone else has, plus a level.

5. We have a ton of tools in the tool box/shed. Ranges from several hammers; standard and metric sockets, wrenches and pliers; breakover bars; electric and air tools; really too much to list. To top it off, we are steadily adding to the collection. You never know what tool you will need for a project in the future. The main name brand is Craftsman. The warranty is well worth the price and often cheaper than the "cheap" brand.

1. In response to DanaAllen

Lots of hammers

2. In response to DanaAllen

Maybe a screwdriver too

6. I'm thinking a hammer, screwdrivers (including a philip's head) and plyers.

7. I have various tools in my toolbox. The ones I use the most are wrenches, pliers, andscrewdrivers.

8. Wrench and Pliers

9. Common-Sense and safety mind set. The best tools to start and finish with.

10. Pliers,screw driver set,hammer ,allen wrench set,medieum socket set,tape measure,safety glasses,battery terminal cleaner,elect tape.and masking tape.

11. As many craftsman tools as you can afford can only help you in what ever project you undertake.

12. standard and metric sockets (3/8 and 1/4" drive) , allen wrenches both standard and metric, torx bits, screwdrivers, wire stripper, needlenose, regular, and channellock pliers, vice grips, test light, hammer, electrical tape, tape measure....You know, just the basics..lol

13. Hammer, screwdrivers, socket set, tape measure, and pliers.

14. I use a rubber mallet more than any other tool..

15. All of the Craftman tools. They are best.

16. screwdriver and flashlight

17. i have only 1 item in my tool box and thats the phone number for someone who knows what there doing which is not me

18. Craftsman tools all of them.

• San Jose, CA

I just purchased a Break-Loose-Bar for one of my Mechanics' Tool Sets that did not yet have any protection for the ratchets that came with the set.

The one I got, at the closest store was still US Made...

1. Only US made tools that is what matters!!!!

19. flash light

20. fork.... to eat your pumpkin pie with.... I always have at least 1 sometimes as many as three. And I love my pie even though I have only 17% body fat but I am 56, stand 6'2 220 lbs.

21. Ya just gotta have a pair of wire pliars or vise grips...

22. Hammer is a must, screwdrivers or one of those 4 or 6 n 1 screwdrivers that have the two most used sizes, along with nut drivers common sizes includes. Very useful toold to have in any tool box. Plus channel locks and adjustable wrenches. A good group of tools that would not take up alot of space in your car or home.

23. basics, hammer, vise-grips, wrenches/screwdrivers, file, level, chalk-line, string, glue, razor blade, pocket knife, electrical tape, duct tape, tape measure, work gloves, socket set, deep sockets, hack saw, chisel point, punch, power line tester,pipe wrench, sand paper, claps, scraper/pry bar, pencils/markers, rope, square, wire, piece of hose, wire hanger, magnetic screw retriever, small flash light,

24. From experience, screw drivers, especially flat head and phillips. Different size wrenches, hammer (a must have) and some pliers (needle nose, flat head, regular). I find the need for the tools listed above to be most used indoors and outside. I also keep electrical tape, work gloves and a tape measure in my toolbox.

25. hammer, screwdrivers and flashlights

26. This is a no brainer whereas I own my own home for almost 25 yrs.(yeah guys, I am a she)
    First a hammer (basic style)great for many upsetting responses as well as repairs. Both flathead and philups (short and long screwdrivers), a hack saw, sandpaper (not really a tool but used as much), a needlenose pair of plyers as well as a pair of basic pliers and cutter pliers,a socket set with driver, a handsaw, extension cords (i know not really a tool but,)allen wrenches, basic wrench set,vice grips, electrical and duct tape (again not a tool but), a can of nuts bolts and screws, insulated wire for various anything,the rest- my son went out the door with on one of his- mom going to borrow these (never to be seen again items)

27. dont forget the crescent-hammer and a pair of pliars!

28. 1911

29. I have three different toolboxes that I use and two small ones that I carry around depending on what I am working on and still never have the right tools for each job just take as many tools as you can carry or haul and cry when you have to use a brand new screw driver as a chisle or pry bar

30. My tool box includes safety glasses/goggles, ear plugs, dust masks, hammers, screwdrivers, slip joint pliers, needle nose pliers, wire cutting pliers, stud finder, level, tape measure, 12 in. 18 in and 24 in metal rulers, pencils, hand, hack & coping saws, metric and US standard wrenches, sockets/wrenches, assorted nails, screws & washers. US standard and metric "Allen" wrenches, "vise" grips, WD-40, 3 in 1 oil and a tube of white lithium grease. It weighs a ton but it's ready for any task or repair.

31. (1) small hammer, (1) medium hammer, (1) large hammer, (1) extra large hammer. If none of these fix the widget, throw it away and buy a new widget. ROTFLMAO!

32. hammer, drill, tape measure, level, duct tape, flashlight, work gloves, assortment of nails, wood and metal tapping screws, pencil, sheet rock knife, pliers, and wire crimps, extension cord, and batteries

33. In addition to the assorted handtools, a good flashlight, gloves and a pair of adjustable bar clamps and an extension cord.

34. What a great question. Have to say a hammer, some standard nails/screws and a flat and Phillips head screwdriver for sure. Also a tape measure and some electric tape.

35. Basics .. 3/16 and 1/4 inch straight blade screw drivers and #1 and #2 phillips , set of combination wrenches american standard or metric or both ? slip joint pliers , long nose pliers 6" , 16 oz claw hammer and maybe a ball peen hammer 16 oz , 3/8 drive socket set , a saw either hand or power depending on your needs , tape measure , level and square . These should handle most home repairs and some mnor car repairs .

36. Definitely a phone number for a great handyman...

1. In response to tutulu

i love your answer, how experienced and survival like,
      although doesn't say much for Your talents.

37. All of the tools and tapes, but for me bandaids too.

• San Jose, CA

Anyone owning a Craftsman black plastic MTS boxed set of tools, should have a 3/8 and 1/2 inch long pair of Craftsman Break-Loose-Bars, that sears calls Flex-Handles, to save wear and tear of the included ratchets.

The 3/8 inch and 15 inch long/ 1/2 inch square drive BLB's fit very nicely in the case's accessory tool well, in just about all of the suit case style kits.

The BLB's are still MUSA tools, hanging in the stores.

This is an excellent set of accessory tools.

There was a time when SEARS socket sets were sold with the sockets and a Break-Loose-Bar, with a ratchet being purchased separately.

For some reason, that logical/ sensible practice was changed to ratchet being included, with the Breaker bars being left out of the sets.

Ratchets have traditionally been used for "speed" and really have no claim on "strength".

Break-Loose-Bars are good tools to have, with the sockets and included ratchets in the Mechanics Tool Set boxes.

38. nails,hammer,screwdrivers,wrench,pliers,screws,

39. You should always have WD40, Different size screwdrivers , Electrical tape , hammer , any craftsman tools (Sockets , wrenches, ratchets etc…) and a pair of Craftsman mechanics gloves.

40. Duct tape for sure but also electrical tape,hammer,pliers,screwdrivers,gloves,knife,pencil,pen,basic wrench and socket set,flash light,spool of wire,clamps,vise grips,wire strippers and a handyman if you can't do it yourself.

1. In response to stschnell

I agree all of the above, but you forgot paper, phillips head screw drivers, (the cross top)rubber bands and a measuring tape. (Like the idea of a handy man, but don't think he'll fit in a tool box). lol

2. In response to stschnell

I agree all of the above, but you forgot paper, phillips head screw drivers, (the cross top)rubber bands and a measuring tape. (Like the idea of a handy man, but don\'t think he\'ll fit in a tool box). lol

41. DUCT TAPE! That's really the only tool you need. Never can have enough. But assortment of screwdrivers, a hammer, pliers, wrenches, utility knife, socket set (1/4" 3/8" & 1/2") tape measure, couple pencils & sharpener.

42. hammer, pliers, screwdriver set, socket set, tape measure, level, portable power drill with misc bits, electric tape and wd40.

• San Jose, CA

Some type of container of WD-40. This is about a universal cure all for light lubrication, penetration, cleaning and some degree of rust protection for tools and projects that go "squeak".

I think I have most of the container offered to dispense WD-40, including some home grown ones, that I've been using for years.

Good stuff.

43. all craftsman tools

44. I think a hammer, screwdrivers, and a tape measure for sure.

45. Craftsman 3.6V electric screwdriver....it makes a great little friend.

46. Intresting question. You can get more informationg about car repair, service and tools here

http://www.servicingstop.ie

47. My answers regarding tools that should be in a toolbox are: nails, washers,screws,Flat head screwdriver,Phillips screwdriver, drill,drillbits,crescent and socket wrenches and socket bits,hex wrenches,pliers,sandpaper,electrical tape, masking tape,painters tape, paint brushes,measuring tape, leveler,saws,electrical extension cord,rags,lubricating oil,tool shapener,glue,electrical current tester,wire,work light,rubber mallet,caulking materials and caulking gun,putty knife,spackle,vises and clamps,bolts,nuts, flash light, batteries,work gloves.

48. 1. 20 Oz Hammer, 2. A ratcheting screwdriver, with interchangeable heads and shaft extension (also useful if you can change the angle of the shaft, i.e. lock it in place). 3. A large plier, 4. wire cutters (small is good enough), 5. channel locking pliers, 6. A small flashlight (with extra batteries, and get one with LED bulbs, so you won't ever have to change the bulb), 7. A pocket knife with two blades, 8. A carpet knife with retractable blade and extra blades, 9. large roll of duct tape, 10. large roll of black electrical tape (keep this in container or it goes bad), 11. Some plumber's epoxy, 12. 2-part epoxy glue, 13. Collection of screws, nails, bolts, and nuts. 13. decent pair of scissors.

Sounds like a lot, but if you shop around a bit you can put all this together for ~45 bucks, especially if you buy sale items. I would stay away from those "home kits" - my experiences with them have been abysmal, and the quality of even the most basic tools are lousy. If you feel like splurging a bit, get a good screwdriver kit, and a decent pocket knife. Everything else is just good to have, but without those two you really can't fix anything these days. There's also something called plumbers tape - it's not the white tape you see everywhere - which you can use in a pinch to repair a leak just enough so you can run to the store to buy parts and make repairs without the house floating away.

Hope this helps.

49. Craftsman bottle opener

1. In response to yourunclefester

lol

• San Jose, CA

In response to yourunclefester

Excellent suggestion, concerning a Craftsman bottle opener.

The Craftsman Cap Wrench has more heft, than the Craftsman screwdriver handled bottle opener.

And, they've brought out a fresh supply of blank (no laser etchings) Cap wrenches for holiday sales.

Either bottle cap removal tool is excellent to have.

50. Which toolbox? Carpentry, Cabinetry, Electrical, Plumbing, Automotive(shop), Automotive(trunk), Welding, Painting?

• San Jose, CA

In response to SawdustPro

Excellent point.

Only the Carpenter's tool box can really carry the standard 26 inch length hand saws, a 24 inch bubble level AND a standard size Framing Square, out the top of the lid of the box.

And, let's not forget the relatively new, tool "soft bags".

51. pliers, wrenches, cutters, electrical tape, zip ties, nails and screws of various sizes, and both types of fuzes.

52. Hammer, saw, hoe, shovel, rake, screwdriver, pliers, wrenches,wire cutters lawnmower,posthole digger, nails, screws and lopers.

53. All Craftsman tools cause they last longer and they get the job done.

54. any tool made in America

55. Craftsman 200 piece rachet set,nine piece scewdriver set,gloves,and protective wear for the eyes,and the list goes on.

56. A wrench, channel locks, and perhaps some spare nails, along with a tape measure.

• San Jose, CA

Trailers are Good! I've got a steel one that my Craftsman tractor hauls all around the property, which has been known to haul tools on occasion.

Gotta keep the tractor in the "lower gear ranges", to avoid popping a tool out a the trailer on a dip in the ground.

Dip?

Yaa... that's where the 100 footer Digger Pine tree done fell.

How do you know a tree fell there?

Look at the depression! That there was made by a tree. A BIG tree.

And, its just... about a 100 feet to where they through the tree limbs into the ponds on the property.

Besides. I known it was a fallen tree, cause the former property folks never finished up removing the tree's root ball.

What "root ball"?

I cleaned it up a few years ago.

57. screw driver flat and philips, pliers, hammer, socket set, jumper cables. that is what i carry

1. In response to jerseyjoe69

mechanical "smarts"

2. In response to jerseyjoe69

hammer, pliers and a length of bailing wire

58. In my opinion, a hammer, a phillips and flat screwdrivers, and pair of general purpose pliers

59. Vice grips,hammer,screwdriver set, wrench,needle nose pliers,wire cutters,and assorted socket tool kit!

60. adjustable vice grips,hammer,screwdriver set,hexsaw,cressen wrench,slip jaw pliers,needle nose pliers,wire cutters,and a nice assorted socket tool kit with ratchet drives!

61. Craftsman!!

• San Jose, CA

A 12 inch long blade, Combination square, preferably with a hardened metal head.

This tool includes a 12 inch long, detachable rule/ straight edge.

Combined with the sliding head the rule can check for squareness, perpendicularity, and even check and mark a precise 45 degree angle, with the included scratch awl slid into the head of the square.

The combination square can also do limited checks of level and plumb, using its built-in bubble-level.

Prices and quality ranges from plastic headed to Machinist sets of Combination squares.

62. I like to keep a socket set, pliers, standard and phillips in my toolbox. And electrical tape for sure.

63. Ductape

• San Jose, CA

If you are going to be striking a metal object with a hammer, you should use a hammer designed to strike other metal objects, like a relatively common ball-pein hammer.

It comes in different head weights, with a 12 or 16 ounce headed ball-pein hammer, like the Craftsman wooden handled selection of BP hammers.

Other metal objects being strick include cold chisels, pin punches and starter punches.

Striking a ratchet is more often than not going to shatter the ratchet mechanisms pawl, rendering the ratchet completely useless until rebuilt or lifetime exchanged, in the case of a Craftsman ratchet.

If you really want to FIX something, go for that there 32 ouncer.

If you go out of the Craftsman family of tool offerings you can get up to 48 OUNCES of ball-pein Get'r Done hamner!

• San Jose, CA

I you... own a ratchet(s), you should have a Break-Loose-Bar (flex handle) for each drive size of ratchet you own.

The ratchet will last much longer and less knuckles will get "busted" by trying to use a speedy ratchet to do what a tough Break-Loose-Bar is designed to do.

I keep my BLB's in the accessory tray of my various Craftsman black plastic MTS cases.

64. In addition to the basics: hammer, adjustable wrench, manual phillips and flat screw drivers, small socket set, fasteners,duct and elictrical tape,razor blade scraper, box cutter, and zip ties. I like to have a battery operated screwdriver w/ various bits and a set of very small tipped screw drivers for kid toys, battery compartments ect. I also buy stubby tools so they take up less spece and weigh less. I should mention that my toolbox is a "mom" toolbox and I don't often tackle big projects with it.

65. In my opinion I think that everyone should have screwdrivers, hammers, wrenches, nails/screws because I find that these are the most used tools throughout every project

66. Hello mmorr54,

I would like to answer your question. This is a very subjective question, however for a good all around home toolbox, I suggest starting with the essentials like a pair of pliers, a hammer, one #2 Phillips screwdriver and a straight bladed screwdriver, an adjustable wrench, tape measure, and a 1/4 inch interchangeable bit driver with a bit and socket assortment. I also suggest a pair of slip-jaw pliers and fastener assortment that contains commonly used screws and other hardware. Another very important detail is to pick a toolbox that will fit the area that you plan to store it in, but yet be big enough that you don’t outgrow it as your tool kit inevitably grows! The tool bags that are offered at Sears are a great choice for this application, they are very roomy and durable, but they can be collapsed to fit into a smaller storage space for convenience. They will also be able to hold all of tools mentioned above and several battery powered tools that many people enjoy the convenience of, if you decide to add them to your tool kit. In fact, there are quite a few tool sets that are offered, with various combinations of the essential tools that I have mentioned, available at your local Sears and at sears.com. I hope that this has given you some direction and ideas to start and build your own personal tool collection and that it will put the trust in your hands to enjoy the rewards and satisfaction of being able to complete your projects.

JerryTech

1. In response to SHC-JerryC

shc jerry, Don't forget your trailer to ary all of your stuff.