Question

Who can I speak with that can explain to me why I am stuck with over $600 worth of clothes that don’t fit me that were a birthday gift from my Aunt? I origianlly returned them to my local store, and was told that I would have to drive 2 hours out of my way to go to another location, because my local store didn’t carry the type of clothing I needed to exchange. I asked if I could exchange for any clothing that would fit me, since a 2 hour trip would be extremely difficult for me to make. I was told no, because Sears computer systems could not look up the price of the items unless that particular line was carried in store. A week later I made the 2 hour journey, thinking I was finally going to be able to get items that fit me to wear to my new job. However when I got there I was told that your policy is absolutely NO exchanges without the original receipt. What?? After driving that far, I could not walk back into your store and pick up the exact same item in a larger size? Why didn’t the salesperson at my local store simply tell me that this was your policy rather than instructing me to drive 2 HOURS for nothing? But I could handle this without complaining if it had not been for the way I was treated over this. I have never been so humiliated and outraged. All I did was walk up to your customer service counter and ask to exchange the items. The sales person told me to wait until she could get a manager, and withing minutes I was surround by SIX employees even though I had been perfectly pleasant the entire time. And with a long line of irritated customers behind me, I was told that I couldn’t have a different size in the items because I could not prove that they had ever actually been purchased (which means I must have stolen them, right?) I asked the manager to pull up my aunts rewards account by searching her phone number (which the girl at my local store told me to suggest) and he refused to do so, saying that even if it did show the items I was returning, there was no way to prove that these were the same ones she had purchased. So I was not only a thief according to him, but I was also a pretty stupid one considering the fact that I stole myself the wrong size!! I had brought my young son on the trip with me, because I was wanting to purchase his back to school wardrobe while I was there, make the most out of the long trip. After the way I was treated, publicly accused and embarrassed, and still had nothing to wear to work the next day, I refused to spend another dime in your store. I have been a customer of your store since I was 18 years old. A sears card was my very first credit card. Every appliance and electronic device I have ever purchased has come from Sears. But you have lost a lifelong customer. And for what? You would have lost nothing in the exchange. You would have had the exact same items you had before, only 1 size smaller. However, I would’ve had clothes that actually fit me! And a little bit of reward for not only being such a loyal customer, but also for taking the time to drive 4 hours simply to make an exchange! I cannot understand, how in this day and time, you can justify such an antiquated returns policy. With competitor retailers such as JC Penny and others flaunting their “NO HASSLE RETURNS” in advertising constantly, I couldn’t believe what I was hearing that day. But is seems that since you have my aunts money, that you couldn’t care less whether the purchase actually benefitted one of your customers!! But what you need to realize is that you lost a large amount of future sales! The fact that you would lose that when the transaction I needed wouldn’t have cost your store a single penny renders me speechless. I am out over $600 worth of clothes, 4 hours of my time, and $45 worth of gas…and I never even got an apology from your store manager for the wasted trip. Horrible. Let me assure you, I am most certainly not a thief, nor am I stupid. And I deserved better than this for my many years of loyalty to your store. I am very very disappointed in you Sears :(

Answers

2 answers

1. CJfromAshland, I saw your comment today and wanted to reach out to you to offer some assistance. My name is Liz and I am a member of the Sears Cares Escalations team. We are sorry for the troubles you have encountered with your return. We would very much like to connect you with a dedicated case manager to further discuss your concerns and ensure that your needs are met to your satisfaction. Please send the following information – contact #, screen name (CJfromAshland), phone # used at time of purchase to smadvisor@searshc.com. Again, we do apologize for the inconvenience and look forward to speaking with you soon. Thank you, Liz R. MySears Community Moderator

2. Hi CJfromAshland! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry to hear of this unpleasant experience you had with your return. I would love to get you in touch with the SearsCares team so they can discuss this with you further.

Check back right her in a bit for a team member's reply. They are a great resource who will do what they can to make this right for you.

Thanks!

See More