Question

Why is Sears’ Customer Service the Worst I’ve Ever Encountered?

To whom it may concern, and anyone else after that representative from Sears has read it and ignored it
1. Bought elliptical with sears service plan. My wife and I had to get our information updated in the system as there wasn’t much information on either one of us, we updated her name and we also updated our address. We also updated the system with our elliptical purchase, or at least I thought we would have seeing as how that was what we were purchasing.
2. The elliptical was squeaky and the pedals were falling apart, we were told these issues would be covered and fixed when a repair technician came out – which all qualified under the service plan
3. We made a call to the Sear’s Service and Repair Department, they could not find me in the system. They only could find my wife in the system, under her maiden name, for a fridge she never bought. The phone and address were right or I would have assumed it was a completely different person. The representative I spoke to said that it was fine and I could just correct the information over the phone, and they would schedule an appointment for the elliptical repair – all I had to do was show the receipt for the elliptical when the technician arrived. I explained to them that both my wife and I work and I can’t get to the house any earlier than 4:45. I had also talked to one John Humpage at the Sears in Topeka, the salesperson I spoke to at Sears about the plan, he assured me they would be able to get a technician out around that time regardless. The phone representative (female) told me that 4:45 could be done and asked me what number they should use to contact me and verify the appointment, I gave them ***-***-9***. I even got a confirmation yesterday via automated phone about the appointment.
4. Today my wife called me and explained that Sears had called her saying they were headed to our house, this was around 1:30 or so. That’s funny, my appointment was at 4:45. They explained to her that regardless of the appointment time they could show up at any time before that if their other jobs were done. That’s fine, but we can’t be there until 4:45. Why did they call her, instead of my number I provided them with? Also, they were at our old address in Wichita, KS not in Topeka the address I had just changed (twice, once in store and once over the phone). On top of all of that, they told her that they make no appointments after 4:00 PM because they are expected to be done at 5:00PM.
5. I called up and spoke to someone and had them change my information (supposedly, this would be the third time it was changed) and also asked to speak to a supervisor about getting a technician to my house tomorrow at 4:45PM. I explained to them that I have been on the phone with Sears before and been hung up on (accidentally probably) so they should write my number down in case they lose me, so they can call me back and have an already irate customer rerouted through their phone lines. I did lose the phone call, somehow, and ten minutes later have not been called back.
6. I am having trouble deciding whether your customer service staff is poorly trained, whether your sales department is dishonest or simply misinformed, and what possible benefit anyone could have doing business at Sears. Regardless, I rented a truck from Manards to transfer the Elliptical to my house, and I’d have to rent one to return it. I’m up a creek without a paddle. And it’s not a scenic creek. It’s **** creek. And my experience with Sears has been the **** that filled the creek. Even the phone representatives seem to have zero power and 100% reliant on superiors who they cannot directly access and must instead transfer me over to. Each time I explained that I have had nothing but bad experiences being put on hold, so please give the supervisor my phone number so they can call me if the for whatever reason I the transfer does not work. Of the three times I called, I never had anyone call me back. I have spent an hour trying to accomplish something over the phone and been hung up on while on hold, and also put on hold as an already identified unhappy customer for a cumulative hour and twenty minutes.
7. So I hung up and called back. This time a service and repair representative named Robert explained to me that they leave notes for another department that handles the actual technicians, called the routing department. Basically they leave notes/recommendations for the routing department, but there is no direct communication. I said “Well then I need to speak with the routing department, because I am not recommending they come after 4:45 I am demanding it as I will not be there until 4:45.” He said he’d transfer me to his supervisor who could make that call. Guess what. Put on hold. Then he informed me he was transferring me, then I was put on hold for another three minutes. Then the music turned off and I couldn’t hear any sound, but no one responded when I talked. This time it was my fault I hung up, at least I think it was. Either way, they never call back. I called back one more time, got another representative who had never heard of the previous representative. He said he sees the note in the system that recommends 4:45 for the technician. I explained to him I don’t want a recommendation, I want a guarantee that someone will be at my house at 4:45 or later, TOMORROW. He started to say he couldn’t do it and I told him don’t worry about it, if someone shows up to my house tomorrow that’s great – if they don’t, that’s great too, no one I know will ever buy from Sears again. And a few reddit users will be more reluctant too. And hopefully anyone who reads this will also be discouraged.

Because there is no connection between a customer as a number and a customer as a person. And even worse, there’s no way to communicate between departments outside of notes in a system. ****, SOP for handling unhappy customers seems to be “Keep them unhappy. Waste their time. Hope they give up on getting anything resembling a solution.”

Answers

3 answers

1. michaelmarler,

We’re sorry our repair service did not meet expectations with regards to your elliptical. My name is David with our Sears Cares Escalation team. We would like the opportunity to have a case manager contact you to discuss this situation and assist in addressing you concerns regarding your service. At your convenience, please contact my office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com so we can help. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number the elliptical was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide the screen name (michaelmarler) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
    David W.
    MySears Community Moderator

2. Hi michaelmarler!

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your experience with us on the repair of your Elliptical!

We would like to help in making this right for you by having one of our Sears Cares team members contact you further on this issue. Once our Sears Cares team responds they will be requesting additional information from you. Upon receiving your information you will be assigned a dedicated case manager whom will help in resolving your issues for you.

Please know that I will be reaching out via email once our team responds.

Thank you!

1. In response to SHC-WendyFD-2

Sounds typical of Sears to keep handing off the situation to someone else