Question

Why will Sears not provide me a fully functional ice container assembly?

I purchased part number 2315404 from Sears online. It does not dispense ice. The problem is they redesigned the auger so the “stirring blade” is not longer needed, but the three they sent me all have the old style auger and no stirring blade…so the auger turns, but no ice comes out. Two research requests through the parts department resulted in the manufacturer (Whirlpool) claiming I need to buy and add the stirring blade. Two problems, I paid for a full assembly and no where does the parts web site state a stirring blade is needed; and two, the screw in the bottom of the auger cannot be removed so a stirring blade can be installed. Sears should stand behind the parts they sell. I bought an assembly that should work without modification. This would be like buying a car and the dealer saying “Oh, if you want to drive it you have to buy a transmission and install it yourself.” No reasonable business operates this way! I need help!!!

Answers

5 answers

1. Dear dkb9107,

Please accept our apologies for the confusion with the part number needed to make your ice maker work correctly. We certainly understand your frustration with receiving an item that actually needed modifications in order to be useful to you. My name is Susan with Sears Social Media Support Escalations team. We are a single point of contact for escalated issues which means that we handle situations from start to finish with one dedicated case manager. We would like to speak with you regarding the part needed and offer our assistance to help resolve this issue. We value you as a Sears customer and want to make sure that everything that can be done to help you is being done. In addition, we’d appreciate the opportunity to address any other concern you have related to this issue. At your earliest convenience please send the following information – contact #, the name and phone # used at time of purchase, as well as the screen name that I have assigned to reference your post (dkb9107), to smadvisor@searshc.com. We look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,

Susan R.
    MySears Community Moderator

2. The customer ordered and paid for what was sold as a complete assembly. They received an assembly that is non operational, because parts are not included. They made this purchase from Sears, based on the information that Sears provided.

Now they are told that they need to order, and pay for, additional parts so that they can have the operating assembly that they ordered and paid for.

Sears is taking no responsibility for this, even though they are the ones that sold the incomplete item as complete. Sears should provide the missing pieces at no cost to the customer, and apologize for the problem. Sears Roebuck and Co would have considered this to be the minimum that should have been done. Now apparently the customer is stuck, and Sears does nothing.

3. I understand your frustration with the new ice bucket. There has been a design change by the manufacturer, which will require installing the stirring blade (2257021) and washer (1119007, two are required). This type of change was made by the manufacturer, which Sears does not control. These parts can be ordered and assembled to the ice bin. You can check back with Sears PartsDirect for these parts and someone there should be able to assist you in this matter.

• San Jose, CA

Is this not a Whirlpool issue?

I don't believe Sears makes "anything" and would not have the capability of providing goods that the manufacturer of an item makes available.

Hopefully, Whirlpool and Sears Parts Direct get together, sometime in the future, to straighten out the ordering procedure, including necessary part numbers to repair the older style ice dispensers.

Cross your fingers.

4. Hi there, dkb9107! Welcome to MySears! I am so sorry that part is not working with your fridge. The SearsCares team can make sure you get the correct part and that your ice maker is functioning properly. Please check back right here for a reply from a team member looking to help.

Thanks!

See More