Question

with the road hazard agreement, my front tires on the inside are really worned out. I purchased set of 4 tires and alignment.. only driven 15,000 miles.. the outside of tires looks like that are still in very good condition.. what can be done with this

Answers

14 answers

1. The road hazard warranty on tires, be it from Sears or any other tire retailer, does not cover excessive wear caused by mechanical or alignment issues. Usually wear on the inside of both tires is a sign of the toe in being set too far out. It could also be that the camber is set at a negative angle, with the tires leaning in at the top.

When ball joints are replaced, the camber and caster have to be reset. Too many so called aliment technicians will do what we call a "set the toe and let it go" job, meaning that they do not take the time to do a proper alignment.

You say that you had "arms" replaced. I wonder if you have a vehicle with pressed in lower ball joints, and rather then replacing the ball joints, they chose to replace the entire control arm with a new unit. While this is easier for the mechanic (some pressed in ball joints are a "female dog" to replace) it is more expensive for the customer, and replaces parts that do not need to be replaced.

Did they replace tie rod ends (the only reason to replace the entire tie rod is if it is damaged in a collision or by improper towing)?

I would take the car to a qualified independent mechanic, and have then check the alignment. Most chains have parts replacers, not actual skilled alignment technicians. If the alignment is off greatly, then you would have a claim against Sears for the poorly done job, and the excessive wear on the tires. You would have to pay a pro rated cost on the tire wear.

1. In response to BigMike4511

No recommendations to replace the tie end rod.. I had a lot of work done this day.. I have a Ford Expedition 1998.. I took notice on the paperwork that there are two different numbers for each of the control arms.. is that right.. the tire on the left is worn out more than the right.. See what had us to replace was the mechanic showed us a ball joint and showed how loose it was.. so we had the money to have the work done we did it.. along with some other stuff.. Something needs to be done.. because I have always trusted Sears with my vehicles with mechanical work.. Always.. Very disappointed in the service.. Two tires gone bad in a year only 15000 miles.. something was not done right..

2. In response to BigMike4511

The control arms are different for each side, so there are two part numbers. Do you know if it was upper or lower control arms replaced?

Either way replacing the ball joints and control arms will change the camber, and it should have been adjusted correctly when the job was done.

A good front end technician is hard to find. The newer front end machines make it easier, but the job still requires skill and the attitude that there is nothing "close enough" it is either right or not finished. Very few good front end techs work for chains stores. Call a few repair shops in your area that do not do front end alignments, and see if they have someone they recommend. If several shops recommend the same place or technician, that will tell you something.

A good technician uses the machine to verify that they have dome the job correctly, a parts replacer uses the machine as the be all end all.

3. In response to BigMike4511

from the part numbers the uppers were replaced.. the bottoms were not mention to be replaced.. I thought they say when the uppers are replaced the lower should be too.. It surprises me that they did use machines.. So I figure that they were doing the job right.. I am so disappointed in the work they have done.. I really spent alot of money for them to do it right.. Thanks for your information

4. In response to BigMike4511

on my reciept I have a part number for ball joint for 2.. K8695t .. is that lower..

5. In response to BigMike4511

That number shows as a Moog lower ball joint, which fits either side on your vehicle. Apparently they replaced both the upper and lower ball joints.

2. Teebrook,
    We’re sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with your tires and for all the confusion in regards to what is covered under your warranty. I certainly understand you concern with needing your vehicle in good, working order. We are glad to look into this further with you to discuss the options available to you.
    At your convenience, please contact our office via email at smadvisor@searshc.com and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number used at the time of purchase (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your (MySears) screen name (teebrook) you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue. We do look forward to speaking with you soon.

Thank you,
    Zenaida M.
    MySears Community Moderator

1. In response to ZenaidaM-2

email on the way..

3. Hi Teebrook, an alignment does not repair worn out parts. This tire wear pattern is typical of cars needing front end parts like ball joints or tie rods. I suggest tAking the car to your mechanic before something breaks.

1. In response to madgolfer

I also had the ball joints and arms put on the same day.. that is why I was just thinking it was the alignment..

4. Hi teebrook! Sorry your tires don't sound like they are working out for you. Have you tried bringing your car to your local Sears Auto? They should be able to help you with your road hazard agreement replacement.

1. In response to SHC-JulieK

the nearest one is about 1 away .. the one near me closed.. I had called to see what can be done.. the person was very rude. all he said was that the agreement do not cover my tires for that.. but I looked online and it says wear and tear.. I am so confused .. can you help

2. In response to SHC-JulieK

Sure, teebrook! I sent your question along to the SearsCares team. They should be able to help get this figured out for you! Check back soon for a reply.

3. In response to SHC-JulieK

thanks a lot.. I also had ball joints and arms put on that day ..if that will help with trying to figure what to do..

See More